San Gimignano is a beautiful medieval hill town in Tuscany, Italy, known for its towers and stunning views of the surrounding countryside. If you’re planning a trip to San Gimignano and want to take the train, here’s what you need to know.
Getting to San Gimignano by Train The nearest train station to San Gimignano is in Poggibonsi, which is about 10 kilometers (6 miles) away. From there, you can take a bus or a taxi to San Gimignano. The bus ride takes about 20 minutes and costs around 3 euros, while a taxi ride takes about 15 minutes and costs around 25 euros.
To get to Poggibonsi from Florence, you can take a regional train from Florence’s Santa Maria Novella train station. The journey takes about an hour and costs around 5 euros. From Siena, you can take a regional train from Siena train station to Poggibonsi, which takes about 30 minutes and costs around 3 euros.
Taking the Train from San Gimignano If you want to take the train from San Gimignano to other destinations in Italy, you’ll need to go to the Poggibonsi train station. You can take a bus or a taxi from San Gimignano to Poggibonsi, as mentioned earlier.
From Poggibonsi, you can take a regional train to Florence, Siena or Pisa, or connect to other destinations in Italy. Trains run frequently throughout the day, and the journey time to Florence is about an hour, while the journey time to Siena is about 30 minutes.
You can see train timetables and buy tickets online on this site
On this site you can see the points of purchase for the bus tickets, they will also be able to provide you with the timetable and the bus stops.
Tips for Taking the Train to and from San Gimignano
- Buy your train tickets in advance to avoid long queues at the ticket counter.
- Check the train schedules ahead of time, as they can change depending on the season.
- If you’re traveling during peak season, make sure to arrive at the train station early to secure a seat on the train.
- Keep your ticket with you at all times, as you may be asked to show it during the journey.
- Be aware that some trains may require seat reservations, so check ahead of time to avoid any confusion.
In conclusion, taking the train to and from San Gimignano is a convenient and affordable way to travel around Tuscany. Just remember to plan ahead, buy your tickets in advance, and check the train schedules to make sure you arrive at your destination on time.